Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Words and Meanings Follow Me

Splotches, swirls, dots and lines follow me - not just filling my brain but covering my eyes and trailing behind me. Not very often does this manifest in poetry, but lends an understanding to the need of the poet to get those words out on the paper, on the napkin, on a tiny receipt when its all you can find in your pocket. Speaking those words in rhythm to the world can relieve the poet of his burden and allow fresh words to circle.

"Il Postino" (1994) - Poet Pablo Neruda is the center of this film filled with politics, romance, and friendship. Gorgeous as only Italy can be, it is lovely from start to finish. 

IF You Forget Me - First Stanza by Pablo Neruda
I want you to know
one thing.

You know how this is:
if I look
at the crystal moon, at the red branch
of the slow autumn at my window,
if I touch
near the fire
the impalpable ash
or the wrinkled body of the log,
everything carries me to you,
as if everything that exists:
aromas, light, metals,
were little boats that sail
toward those isles of yours that wait for me

No comments: