Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ignore the "List" but read mine

Lists are boring. When a list comes out, ignore it. Don't bother with some experts must see, top 100, worst ever, Cus lets be real - THEY are always wrong. Your personal list is always better .......


Someone asked the other day for everyone to pick their top 5 films ...UGH.....there is no way to pick only 5 and on any given day the top 20 is a fluid live being. After 100 years of movies (SOME of which I haven't seen) how can anyone narrow it to a chosen number of 'top' anything? Its like picking your favorite child. Impossible.........


That said since today is 4-20-11, I give you my list of favorite stoner films (for the moment). Ask me in an hour, you'll get a different list.......

"Reefer Madness" (1936) - An education film that encouraged many drive-in goers to indulge and were they pissed off when they couldn't figure out how to get the mind altering green the film folks were smoking.  


"Half-Baked" (1998) - Silly, poorly acted but extremely funny and entertaining. The guy on the couch is the best bit. Wait for it..........


"Up In Smoke" (1978) - Is it funny or do I just have fond memories of many drive in viewings?  I admit to seeing this one endless times and most of it going completely over my head. A bit choppy in the editing style, repetitive gags, but watchable, rewatchable and iconic. 


"Clerks" (1994) - IF I were to participate in a top film list this would be number 14 or 16 depending on my mood. An incredible first film in several given genre's - Silent Bob and Jay are culminations of several guys I went to high school with and one I dated. You gotta love it. Watch it once for fun, then again to study the style, dialogue and characterizations. There are obnoxious subtleties here.



No comments: